Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore

Cattolica International

EU students

Post-admission steps

EU students (regardless of where they live) and non-EU students residing in Italy (i.e. holding a valid permesso di soggiorno) are required to comply with the following procedure:

1. Accept Università Cattolica's offer and pay the deposit

If you are eligible for admission, the International Admissions Office will inform you sending an e-mail to the address you indicated on the online application (remember to check your spam box as well!). The e-mail will outline:

  • If you have been awarded with a scholarship;
  • The instructions to pay the first installment of the tuition fee in order to accept Cattolica’s offer and reserve a place on the indicated degree program.

Your place will be confirmed only after the payment is received.  


2. Request the "Diploma supplement" or "Dichiarazione di valore"

In order to enroll to Università Cattolica, you will need to provide, among others, one of the following two documents:

  • Diploma Supplement; OR
  • Dichiarazione di Valore.

a) The Diploma Supplement is a document attached to a higher education qualification, with the aim of improving international transparency and facilitating the academic and professional recognition of qualifications (diplomas, degrees, certificates). It is designed to provide a description of the nature, level, context, content and status of the studies that were successfully completed by the individual.

The Diploma Supplement is produced by national Higher Education institutions according to a template developed by a Joint European Commission - Council of Europe - UNESCO working party. Download a few examples. Please note that If the university you studied at issues the Diploma Supplement in English, no Italian translation is required.

b) The Dichiarazione di Valore in loco (DV) is an official document which provides a short description of your qualification, its validity in the awarding country to academic and/or professional ends, and the legal status of the awarding institution. In order to request the DV, you have to contact the Italian Consulate/Embassy in the country that awarded the qualification. For example, if you studied in a British university in Ghana, you should refer to the Italian Embassy in the UK. In countries where there are several Italian Embassies (eg. Turkey or the USA), you should refer to the Consular office which is responsible for the state/region where the university is located. In a few countries, the Istituto Italiano di Cultura may be responsible to collect candidates’ DV request and documents on behalf of the Embassy. Find here a list of the Italian Consular offices

Please note that Italian Embassies/Consulates usually require that diplomas and transcripts are legalized (1) by the relevant local Ministries and translated into Italian before they are submitted for the DV issuing. It is important that you verify the procedure directly with the Consular office of jurisdiction.

List of the documents that are generally required:

  • Passport;
  • Only for non-EU students residing in Italy: copy of valid permesso di soggiorno;
  • Università Cattolica’s admission letter;
  • High school Diploma (not always required, check with the Embassy); 
  • University Diploma;
  • Transcript of academic records.


3. Enrollment

The enrollment procedure will be finalized upon arrival. Your enrollment to Università Cattolica will be possible only if you submit the Diploma supplement or the Dichiarazione di Valore.


(1) Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a public document is genuine. It does not authenticate the content of the document. Legalisation is usually required by Italian authorities before they will allow a document issued in a third country to be used for official purposes in Italy. If your country signed the La Haye Convention of 05/10/1961, the competent authorities will stamp the Apostille on your qualification. In other countries, specific Ministries are appointed to legalise documents through a stamp. If you studied in Belgium, Denmark, France, Ireland, Germany, Austria or Estonia legalisation of documents is not required according to international agreements.