Living Expenses (estimated costs per year)
- Accommodation (not including meals): from € 6,000 to € 7,200
- Personal expenses: from € 2,160 to € 4,500
- Food: from € 1,900 to € 2,165
- Local transportation: From € 230 to € 360
- Books: from € 400 to € 600
ATAC SpA (Azienda per la mobilità) manages the public transport service of the city of Rome.
- Aeroporto Intercontinentale Leonardo da Vinci di Fiumicino is Rome’s main airport and is well-connected with the city by an express train.
- Aeroporto Internazionale G.B. Pastine di Ciampino:Rome's smaller airport, mostly used by charter flights and budget airlines.
All tickets can be purchased at newsstands, from the Tabacchi, tobacconist stores marked with a large “T”, at bars, or at ticket vending machines in the metro stations and at the bus stops. The same ticket can used up to 90 minutes, however the same ticket cannot be used twice for the metro even within the 90 minutes. Tickets can be purchased ahead of time, because they are only considered "in use" when they are validated on the bus or metro.
The following is a list of ticket prices:
- One ticket: € 1.50 (valid for 90 minutes)
- Monthly pass € 35.00 *
- Yearly pass € 230.00 *
(*Students have a discount)
The Metro in Rome has two lines: A and B which both cross at Termini, the main station. Trains run every 4 to 5 minutes, from 5:30 am until 11.30 pm every day, and on Saturdays until 12.30 am.
There are hundreds of bus lines, running from 5:30am till 12.00 am. All buses and trams travel in both directions. In an effort to minimize pollution in the small backstreets of the historic center, the are several small electric bus lines that run through the alleyways. There are over 20 night bus lines that run from 12.30 am to 5:30 am.
There are different taxi companies. When calling from within Rome:
06 3570, 06 4994, 06 6645, 06 551, or 06 8822.
Renting bikes or scooters
Although most of the sights in Rome are within walking distance or accessible by public transportation, renting a bike or a scooter is a popular way to get around the city. The cost of rental on average is €40-€50 per day.