Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore

Cattolica International

Post Admission steps - Undergraduate programmes - Non EU students

Non-EU admitted students, who need to apply for a study visa in order to enter Italy and enroll to Università Cattolica, are required to comply with the following procedure:
1. Accept Università Cattolica's offer and pay the deposit

If you are eligible for admission, the International Admissions Office will inform you by publishing an offer in your Self-Service Center and sending a notification to the email address you indicated on the online application (remember to check your spam box as well!).

The offer  will outline:

  • The conditions (if any) that will have to be satisfied in order to enroll;
  • If you have been awarded the UCSC International Scholarship;
  • The instructions on how to accept Cattolica’s offer and on how to pay the first installment of the tuition fees in order to reserve a place on the indicated degree program.

Upon receipt of the payment, the International Admissions Office will e-mail you the official admission letter addressed to the Italian Consulate/Embassy in your country. The original copy of the letter will be sent via courier to the address indicated on the application form. 

Please note that we can send only one original copy of the admission letter. You are therefore required to double check the address provided and let us know as soon as possible if you need the letter to be couriered to a different one. For further certificates or request of a second shipment of the admission letter, a fee will be applied to cover the shipment expenses. 

2. Submit the pre-enrollment request to the Italian Embassy/Consulate

As a preliminary step to apply for a study visa in August, all admitted students need to submit a formal “Pre-enrollment request” to the Italian Consulate/Embassy of their jurisdiction (1) by July 24, 2019. In a few countries, the Istituto Italiano di Cultura may be responsible for collecting candidates’ pre-enrollment requests and documents on behalf of the Embassy. 

Upon receipt of the admission e-mail, you should contact the Italian Consulate/Embassy of your jurisdiction in order to verify the procedure in place for the submission of the pre-enrollment request. In fact, each Consular office may autonomously require additional documents and/or steps with respect to those established by the Italian Ministry for Education, depending on the country where it is located (2).

In particular, it is important that you double check:

  • If you need to book an appointment in  advance;
  • If you need to attend an interview with the Consular staff;
  • The full list of the required documents;
  • The deadlines: in a few countries may be earlier than those established by the Ministry.

Please find the list of the documents that are generally required by the Italian Embassy/Consulate:

  • Pre-enrollment application form - FORM A (2 copies);
  • Your passport
  • 2 passport-size photos;
  • Università Cattolica’s admission letter;
  • If you already graduated from high school: original copy of your high school leaving diploma; if you have not yet finished high school: certificate of enrollment in last year of high school;
  • If you studied less than 12 years of total schooling: transcript of records issued by a recognized university (please see: entry requirements)
  • University-entrance examination certificate, if this applies in the country where you graduated (please see entry requirements);
  • If you are applying for a transfer: transcript of records issued by the university you attended;
    Please note: Italian Embassies/Consulates usually require that diplomas and transcripts are legalized (3) by the relevant local Ministries and translated into Italian before they are submitted for pre-enrollment. 
  • For degree courses taught in Italian: Italian language proficiency certificate.

This step ends with the formal acceptance of your pre-enrollment request by the Italian Embassy/Consulate, that will in turn contact Università Cattolica to confirm your admission.

3. Study Visa application

If the previous step has been successful, you can submit an application for a long-term entry visa - “D” type – issued for study reasons (“Immatricolazione Università”) at the Italian Embassy/Consulate of your jurisdiction.

You will have to satisfy the following requirements:

  • Proof of economic means of about 6.000€. Please note however that the cost of living in Italy per annum is higher;
  • A return ticket; 
  • Proof of accommodation in Italy.
  • Health insurance for medical expenses and hospital stays;
  • Passport or travel document valid for at least three months after visa expiry date;
  • Successful completion of high school studies (you will have to provide the final Diploma).

Please note that each Consular office may autonomously require additional documents.
If your application is accepted, the Italian Embassy/Consulate will:

  • Stamp the study visa on your passport;
  • Return the pre-enrollment application form (duly stamped) and a certified copy of your diploma (and transcript, if applicable);
  • Issue the “Dichiarazione di Valore” (4) of your qualification.

If you hold one of the following qualifications, check the specific requirements for enrollment:

International Baccalaureate(IB): before IB results are released, candidates must request to have their transcript of grades sent to Università Cattolica. Our IB code is 001623. The DV is not required.
G.C.S.E. and G.C.E. (UK): the final scores must be released by the relevant examining board and sent directly to our office.
US High School Diploma: SAT and AP final scores must be released by the College Board and sent directly to our office (code 7414).

It is also suggested that while requesting the visa, you also apply to the Italian Consulate for the issuing of your “Codice fiscale” (Italian tax registration No.). It is a 16-character alphanumeric code issued free of charge by the Revenue Agency to identify Italian nationals and foreign residents. You need to have your own "codice fiscale" to enroll in any Italian university, open a bank account and sign any type of contract (rental, phone line, ...).

4. Orientation Event and enrollment

Every year, Cattolica International organizes an Orientation Event for degree-seeking students before the beginning of classes. You are required to attend the event on one of the available dates in order to receive useful information to start your academic experience at Università Cattolica. You will receive an official invitation via e-mail during the Summer in order to register. Information about the academic calendar is available in the “Program dates” section of each bachelor webpage.

During the event, you will need to submit all the documents that the Italian Embassy/Consulate gave you to the International Admissions Office. 

Within eight days from arrival to Italy, you will have to request a permit of stay (“permesso di soggiorno”). UCSC International will provide support in completing the application form during the Orientation Event.

Please note that your enrollment to Università Cattolica will be possible only if the above mentioned steps are completed.


(1) The Italian Embassy of the country issuing your passport and responsible for the area where you reside (eg. in Turkey or the USA there are several Italian Embassies, and each of them is responsible for a specific state/region in the country). Find here a list of the Italian Consular offices. If you temporarily live in a country that you are not a citizen of, you may submit your pre-enrollment request to the Head of Italian Consulate/Embassy of that country, who will decide whether to accept it or not. 

(2) Read here the official government Guidelines for admission (in Italian only).

(3) Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a public document is genuine. It does not authenticate the content of the document. Legalisation is usually required by Italian authorities before they will allow a document issued in a third country to be used for official purposes in Italy. If your country signed the La Haye Convention of 05/10/1961, the competent authorities will stamp the Apostille on your qualification. In other countries, specific Ministries are appointed to legalise documents through a stamp. If you studied in Belgium, Denmark, France, Ireland, Germany, Austria or Estonia legalisation of documents is not required according to international agreements.

(4) The Dichiarazione di Valore in loco (DV) is an official document which provides a short description of your qualification, its validity in the awarding country to academic and/or professional ends, and the legal status of the awarding institution. In order to obtain the DV, you have to contact the Italian Consulate/Embassy of the country that awarded the qualification. For example, if you studied in a British school in Ghana, you should refer to the Italian Embassy in the UK for the DV issuing.