Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore

Cattolica International

Faq - Exchange programme in Milan

Where can I find the link to the application?

Once your home university has nominated you and Cattolica has received the nomination, you will receive a link to the online application.

When is the application deadline?
Applicants are required to submit their application by April 15 in order to study at Università Cattolica for the Fall Semester or by November,15 for the Spring Semester.

Which documents are required for the application?
You will need the following: 

  • a passport sized picture (to be used on your Student ID card)
  • a scan of your passport (mandatory for non-EU students) or other ID documents for EU students
  • the Transcript of Records from your home institution
  • the Special Needs form (available to download and complete on the portal)
  • English Language certificate (if you want to take courses taught in English and English is NOT your mother tongue)
  • Italian Language certificate or the Italian Language Proficiency Report (if you want to take courses taught in Italian and Italian is NOT your mother tongue)

What are the English Language Proficiency requirements if I’m not a native English speaker?
Applicants for Cattolica coursework in English must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 79 iBT/ an IELTS score of 6 or an equivalent certificate (First Certificate of English - Cambridge ESOL / ISE II - Trinity College, London); or have successfully completed a degree programme taught in English; or currently studying in English at their home institution.

What is the Italian Proficiency Report and in which case I do have to submit the report in the application?
The Italian Language Proficiency Report is required for applicants planning to pursue coursework in Italian (excluding the Italian language courses). The report needs to be completed and attached to the application. The first part of the report is to be completed by the student. The second part of the report is to be completed by a language instructor.

What are the differences between the Cattolica International Curriculum and the Cattolica Academic Curriculum?
Cattolica International Curriculum is made of courses offered on a semester basis (both Spring and Fall). The courses each bear the equivalent of 6 ECTS, corresponding to 3 U.S. Credits.

Courses are all taught in English and classes are composed of international students – domestic students cannot take courses from the International curriculum.
Please note that since changes may occur in the list of courses offered per semester, applicants will be advised on the effective and definitive list of courses available two months before the semester starts.

Cattolica Academic Curriculum is made of courses from the Facoltà (Schools) at Università Cattolica and over 30 curricula either at undergraduate and graduate level.
Students can both choose to attend Cattolica Academic Curriculum taught in English in the field of Economics, International Management, Banking & Finance, International Relations and Political Sciences and Political and Social Sciences - Law, Psychology, Communications. All the other courses offered are in the Italian Language. Students will have to prove their knowledge of Italian Language in order to take courses from the Cattolica Academic Curriculum taught in Italian.

When do I receive an acceptance notice/admission letter?
An acceptance notice will be sent out within 1 month of the receipt of your completed application. Nevertheless, Cattolica International Staff may contact you if you have not completed successfully the online application process before the mentioned deadline. You may be contacted both in case of lack of required supporting documents and in case further information from your side is needed to complete the application assessment.
Please be sure to read carefully the text of the acceptance notice.

How many courses can I choose from the two Curricula?

Cattolica gives exchange/study abroad students the freedom to take the courses they want, both from the Cattolica Academic Curriculum and the International Curriculum. It is important to check the requirements with your home institution. Please note that the average workload per semester is 30 ECTS (about 4 or 5 courses), but the decision on course load and credit amount must come from the home institution.

Note that Erasmus+ Exchange students can only take one course from the International Curriculum and will earn their remaining credits from the Cattolica Academic Curriculum Courses in order to satisfy their home institution course load requirements.

Can I change the courses I selected during the application and/or indicated on my Learning agreement?
Yes, you can modify your Learning Agreement by adding and dropping courses once you are at Università Cattolica. Please approach the Cattolica International Staff to have your new Learning Agreement signed and in case you need advice on the courses.

If I selected courses from the International Curriculum, can I change the courses I previously selected in my application?
Yes, there is a two-week period called Add/Drop in which you can change courses if you wish to. Courses are filled on a first-come first -served basis, therefore you may not get a space on all of your desired courses. 

Where can I find information on the courses from the International Curriculum?
Courses from the International Curriculum are listed on the website. By clicking on the course title the course outline is displayed. Please note that the list of courses is subjected to change each semester.

Are all the courses from the International Curriculum in English?
Yes, all the courses from the International Curriculum are taught in English. Classes are composed of an international group of students.

How do I look up Cattolica Academic Curriculum courses?
In order to look up for courses of the Cattolica Academic Curriculum, you must to search on the ECTS Guide
In order to look for courses, you will have to enter some requited fields: the Academic Year, the Campus, the Faculty, the Language of Instruction and click on SEARCH. All the courses available per Faculty will be displayed. For more information contact us at international.advisor@unicatt.it.

Are all the courses from Cattolica Academic Curriculum in Italian?
No. The Cattolica Academic Curriculum has mostly courses taught in Italian, but a growing number of courses taught in English in the field of Economics, International Management, Banking & Finance, International Relations and Political Sciences and Political and Social Sciences - Law, Psychology and Communication.

Do I have to register to courses before coming to Italy?
You are required to complete the Online Registration for the International Curriculum only – NOT for the Academic curriculum. The International Office will send students who selected courses from the Cattolica International Curriculum specific emails communication to proceed to the online registration. Please note that the Registration to the courses is on a first-come first-served basis. Students will only be invited to complete the online registration if they selected International Curriculum courses during the application. 

When is the Registration to Cattolica International Curriculum courses?
Online Registration to International Curriculum courses opens for up to a week, around 2 months before the semester starts.

I have never studied the Italian Language - can I still take courses from the Cattolica Academic Curriculum taught in Italian?
No, if you have never studied Italian or if you do not have a B2 Italian level, according to European Language Framework, you are not permitted to take courses taught in Italian.

How do I enrol in the Italian Language Course?
You must select the Italian Language Course during the application process if you wish to take the course. If you do not select it at that time, you cannot select it at a later stage.

Is the Italian Language Course included in my tuition?
If you are classified as an Erasmus + student or an Overseas student, the course is not included in your benefits and you will be required to pay to enrol in the course. If you are unsure of what type of student you are, please ask your home advisor before proceeding. If the Italian course is included in your tuition and you wish to take it, you must select it during the application.

Are the programme dates the same for the Cattolica International Curriculum and the Cattolica Academic Curriculum?

No, you are invited to look up the programme dates (start and end dates as well as exams sessions) on the Cattolica International website.
Be sure to check the correct dates for your Semester and Curriculum.
Please note that non-European students can request an early exam session in December/May.

When am I expected to come to Italy for the beginning of my exchange/study abroad period?
Your expected arrival date depends on the courses you selected during the application. Your arrival date is written on your Admission Letter, available on the Portal. 
Università Cattolica organizes two Orientation Events at the beginning of each semester.
The first orientation event is compulsory if you enrolled in the Pre-session Intensive Italian Language Course or the Study Abroad Impact Lab.

A specific email informing on the orientation dates and asking for your attendance is sent out before your departure from home country/university. Please be sure to RSVP to ensure you receive the detailed programme of the orientation.

Additionally, if you selected courses from the Faculty of Economics – coursework in English of the 2nd trimester, your expected arrival dates will be in the first week of January (starting earlier than other faculties).

Do I need a VISA to come to Italy?

If you do not have a European passport or European citizenship, a VISA for study reasons is required. Upon completion and confirmation of enrolment at Cattolica, students are notified by an email asking to enter the Enrolment portal where they can download their Admission letters (1 in Italian and 1 in English). Students should use the Admission letter when requesting the VISA.

How can I obtain a VISA to come to Italy?
Students should consult and follow the procedures explained at this page on the webiste: Post admission for non-EU students.

What is the Permit of Stay?
The permit of stay is a document you will be asked to apply for upon arrival in order to be legally registered for you to stay in Italy.

How should I deal with the Permit of Stay once in Italy?
During the Orientation Event, the International Staff will give you the Permit of stay kit and provide you with instructions on how to complete it. The International Staff are available to help and support you in filling in the documents requested for the Permit of Stay.

Please note that you will need the following documents:

  • passport and photocopy of student’s personal data page and VISA
  • photocopy of VISA documentation and of any letter issued and stamped by Consulate
  • the certificate of enrolment/Admission Letter issued by Università Cattolica
  • photocopy of health insurance coverage
  • a revenue stamp (Marca da bollo) of €16 (to purchase at any tobacco shop)
How do I look for accommodation in Milan?

Cattolica International will send you information on accommodation solutions available in Milan.
Cattolica offers its international students a limited number of off-campus apartments and rooms in a residence through MIL Service (Milano International Living Service). If you look for temporary solutions upon your arrival, please turn to the Pre-arrival guide that Cattolica will send you.
In addition, the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is a European student association which has a representation at Cattolica too. You will meet ESN at the Orientation Event and on Campus to receive support in the research of accommodation.
I am an ISEP student, are meals included in my programme?
If you are an ISEP EXCHANGE student meals are included in your benefits. The ISEP DIRECT programme does not include meals.