School: Economics - Mathematics - Physics and Natural Science
Intake: September 2020
Duration: 2 years
Language of instruction: English
Degree awarded: Laurea magistrale in Innovation and technology management
Total ECTS: 120
The Master of Science in Innovation and Technology Management (ITEM) is a two-year programme, taught entirely in English, and designed for students who want to develop multidisciplinary skills suited to the new business contexts generated by the innovations that accompany the so-called Industry 4.0.
It combines sound methodological and analytical skills with applications and business practices. There is a revolution that endows both providers and users with new technologies and infrastructures.
The programme wants to create flexible professional profiles capable of understanding the potential of product and process technologies and generating new market spaces as well as new business opportunities. Students can choose between two paths: the Innovation process management path is thought for students aiming at working in managerial roles in industrial, service and consultancy companies. The Entrepreneurship path is for students whose ambition is to rise, join or take part in the development of a new venture or a small and mid-sized company.
- The ability to understand macroeconomic scenarios and technological developments with a significant impact on the organization and management of businesses. The programme offers the fundamental economic and technological understanding students need in order to frame and analyze business contexts in which companies operate and the potential applications of new technologies.
- Knowledge of legal matters: the programme includes courses designed to address the legal implications of implementing technology adoption programmes, both in terms of civil and criminal law
- The ability to analyze innovation projects economically and financially. The programme provides students with knowledge of the performance-measurement and capital-budgeting tools required to evaluate projects on an economic and financial level
- Knowledge of business models. The programme is designed to familiarize students with features of today's most promising business models, and to provide them with the necessary tools, not only for adopting these models in medium-large businesses with pre-established structures but also for launching new business initiatives in the form of start-ups
- The ability to recognize the potential for innovation in products and processes, and to plan and carry out implementation projects, evaluating them on an ex-post basis. The programme provides students with an understanding of market and customer-needs analysis
- Relational skills. The programme is designed to provide students with the relevant relational skills for operating in business context that, by their nature, will be multidisciplinary and highly international
Graduates from the ITEM master’s programme are prepared to enter careers in fields focused on innovation in: large companies in the manufacturing or services sectors; small and medium-sized enterprises; consultancy firms; international organizations; agencies offering technology transfer and support for new innovative businesses; science and technology parks; business incubators and accelerators; and in universities and other research institutions.
The ITEM master’s degree not only provides employment opportunities in sectors where innovation is central to strategic action (science-based start-ups, large ICT firms, specialists in/producers of digital technologies, energy sector businesses and organizations) but also in more traditional sectors where innovation is linked to the adoption and conceptualizations of new technologies, such as: textiles and clothing, furniture, agri-food, banking, insurance, health and public administration, and all traditional manufacturing sectors in general.