1st Level. Propaedeutic Phase: history, power and institution: the conceptual foundation of the Middle East
- Methodological introduction: debates on the Middle East
- History of the Middle East
- Religion, society and thought in the Islamic Middle East
- Islamic law and economy
- Study of political and juridical terminology - glossary in Arabic
- Middle East within the 20th century international order
2nd Level. In-depth Analytical Phase: sub-regional contexts
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- South-West Asia and the Gulf
- Central-Southern Asia
3rd Level. Thematic and Contemporary Issues
- Politics in contemporary Middle East and the current International Relations context
- Global security: jihadism, violent activism, conflicts and nuclear proliferation
- Post-conflict Institution-building and human security
- Gender, ethno-religious diversity and pluralism in the Middle East
- Energy and the geopolitics of resources
- Contemporary economic trends
4th level. Project Work
Students are required to develop a personal research project on an issue related to Middle Eastern affairs, under the supervision of a MIMES professor. It is suggested to connect the project work to the internship experience.
5th level. Internship (or Arabic/Persian/Turkish Language Course)
The Master's program is completed with an internship within an institutions whose mission and activities are consistent with the Master's program. This gives students the invaluable opportunity to test and strengthen the competencies acquired during the Master and it usually lasts three months. As an alternative, students who do not carry out an internship may choose to attend a certified Arabic, Persian or Turkish language and culture course. In any case, the course will have to be positively evaluated by the Master's Direction (additional fee depending on the organizing institution may occur).
Students will receive support and tutoring for their internship research, specifically concerning CVs and cover letter preparation, vacancies research and internship announcements indication.