Every Monday from 1.30pm to 4.30pm
the Nuovo Joaenneum.
Students are advised to schedule an appointment.
EU residents holding a European Health Insurance Card are entitled to receive medical treatment in another member state for free, or at a reduced cost. A patient contribution is required for prescriptions, medical examinations, oral and dental care.
Non-EU residents must purchase a health insurance which covers costs related to medical treatment and admission to hospital in order to apply for a Residency Permit. They can either:
- take out a private health insurance policy in their home country before departure (It is advisable that the insurance policy is validated by the Italian embassy and translated into Italian or English); or
- take out a private health policy with an Italian insurance company, such as the one provided by W.A.I (Welcome Association Italy: http://www2.waitaly.net/en/): it costs €71 for a period of 6 months and €120 for 12 months. The policy will be valid only after applying for the residence permit. UCSC International will provide further details during the Orientation Event.
If you plan to stay in Italy for at least one year, you will have to buy a 12-month coverage: the Residency Permit will expire the same day of the insurance.
SSN (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale / National Health Service)
Registering with the SSN is warmly suggested, because it entitles international students to the same treatment as Italian citizens. This includes: choice of a general practitioner, who can visit you free of charge, and who will refer you to specialists (dentists, orthopedics, etc.); admission to public or certified private hospitals; doctor on duty-continuous assistance service (guardia medica) free of charge; lower fees for tests; medical fees exemption for chronic diseases.
Registration with the SSN is valid for one calendar year, from January 1st until December 31th. Non-EU students enrolling in September should purchase first a private health insurance for 12 months, and then they can subscribe to the SSN.
In order to register, you have to go to the ATS (Local Health Office) of your city area.
What you need to take with you:
- self-certificate of enrolment at Università Cattolica (downloadable from iCatt);
- for non-EU students: residence permit, or residence permit application receipt;
- "codice fiscale";
- copy of your passport;
- receipt of the payment for the SSN subscription.