What is Service Learning about?
Service learning is about connecting learning in the classroom with real-world experiences in the local community, it instills the habit of performing a service for others. Students who engage early on often continue service work for the rest of their lives.
Benefits of a Service Learning experience:
- hands-on use of skills and knowledge that increases relevance of academic skills
- interaction with people of diverse cultures and lifestyles
- increased sense of self-efficacy, analytical skills, and social development
- opportunities for meaningful involvement with the local community
- personal and interpersonal development
- reducing stereotypes and facilitating cultural & racial understanding
- career development
CURRENT PROJECTS AVAILABLE
Area: Education and Language training
The placement will be carried out in schools where the languages taught may be English, German, Spanish, French. On a general basis, you will be asked to attend the school two or three times weekly for a total of 4-6 hours per week, however the schedule may vary according to each school’s needs.
Some volunteers begin their placement by assisting in a classroom, and then gradually take over responsibility for teaching a lesson or a whole class.
International teaching projects give volunteers a new outlook on the world, while broadening the horizons of students and providing local teachers with desirable assistance.
Who should apply
Volunteers with an interest in teaching, education, psychology, social work, human development, humanities and with an Italian studies background, or simply volunteers with a desire to make a difference in international communities. The ideal volunteers are enthusiastic about being immersed in the hands-on work of education. Successful teaching volunteers are patient, creative, and ready to adapt to unfamiliar cultures and educational settings.
Fall Semester: September - December
Spring Semester: February - May