Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore

Cattolica International

Residency permit

Within 8 working days of their arrival in Italy, Non-Eu residents are required to submit the application for a Residency Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) for study reasons to the local post office.

The Residency Permit is a card with a microchip and a machine-readable magnetic strip containing the cardholder's personal details, photo, and fingerprints in digital format.

Non-Eu students will need to submit the following documents:

  1. Passport and photocopy (b/w) of personal data page and visa page;
  2. VISA documentation and any letter issued and stamped by the Consulate (make additional photocopies);
  3. A certificate of enrolment issued by Cattolica International (provided upon arrival);
  4. Photocopy of health insurance coverage (for a stay in Italy for at least a year, a 12-months insurance is required);
  5. A revenue stamp (marca da bollo) of €16 to purchase from tobacco shops (tabaccheria) in Italy;
  6. Address of accommodation in Italy including the zip code;
  7. Four recent and identical passport-size photographs.

The application form will be provided by Cattolica International during the dedicated info session of the Orientation Events. The Residency Permit will be issued by the relevant police station (Commissariato/ Questura) after about 2-3 months from the submission date. 

The expiration day of the Residency Permit is decided by the police depending on how long your study period at Cattolica is and on how long your health insurance lasts. In any case, the Residency Permit for study reasons will be valid up to a maximum of one year.

Under current regulations, it will have to be renewed every 12 months. For the first renewal, non-EU students must prove that they passed at least one exam during the first year of study; for subsequent renewals, they need to pass at least two exams every year.